A woman’s body sure can start to see changes in their 40’s, including our skin! These changes can include increased dryness, loss of elasticity and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Although individual skincare needs can vary, here are the five must have ingredients for any women in their 40’s:
1. Retinol: a derivative of Vitamin A and known for its anti-aging properties that include minimizing the appearance of fine lines, smoothing out rough texture and encouraging cellular turnover for a more youthful complexion. There are many different levels of retinol so be sure to start slowly and choose a mild formula, working up to using daily and increasing strength.
2. Hyaluronic Acid: With age, the skin’s natural Hyaluronic Acid levels decline…leading to increased dryness and loss of plumpness. Applied topically, Hyaluronic Acid can help attract and retain moisture, improve elasticity and smooth out fine lines. A perfect ingredient to incorporate into your fall and winter home care routine.
3. Vitamin C: This superstar and potent antioxidant helps protect the skin against environmental damage, boost collagen and elastin production, and decrease redness and brown spots. Be sure to choose a formula that does not oxidize (turn brown in color). Apply once a day with your morning routine.
4. Peptides: Peptides are amino acids that help stimulate collagen production and improve firmness and elasticity. They can help reduce the appearance of fine line and wrinkles. Look for peptides in your moisturizer and eye cream.
5. Lactic Acid: One of my favorite ingredients; a member of the AHA family (alpha-hydroxy acid). Lactic Acid will help increase cellular turnover, smooth out rough texture, and help brighten your complexion. Lactic Acid is great for all skin types and will not dry out your skin.
Remember, it’s always a good idea to consult with a skin care expert who can assess your specific skin concerns.